[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 14 03:58:40 CET 2012

On 3/13/2012 9:57 PM, VanL wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2012, at 8:37 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de>
> wrote:
>
>>> 1) The layout for the python root directory for all platforms
>>> should be as follows:
>>>
>>> stdlib = {base/userbase}/lib/python{py_version_short} platstdlib
>>> = {base/userbase}/lib/python{py_version_short} purelib =
>>> {base/userbase}/lib/python{py_version_short}/site-packages
>>> platlib =
>>> {base/userbase}/lib/python{py_version_short}/site-packages
>>> include = {base/userbase}/include/python{py_version_short}
>>> scripts = {base/userbase}/bin data = {base/userbase}
>> [...]
>>> I have talked with a number of people at PyCon, including Tarek
>>> and MvL. Nobody objected, and several thought it was a good
>>> idea.
>>
>> I admit that I didn't understand that lib/python{version} was also
>> part of the proposal. I'm fine with the bin/ change, but skeptical
>> about the lib change - this just adds a redundant level of
>> directories on Windows. The installation will end up in
>>
>> c:\python33\lib\python3.3
>>
>> which has the software name and version twice in the path.
>>
>> Do we *really* need this?
>

> We *already* have this. The only difference in this proposal is that
> we go from py_version_nodot to py_version_short, i.e. from
>
> c:\python33\lib\python33

Right not, we (at least I) have
.../python33/Lib/<library files>
.../python32/Lib/<library files>

> c:\python33\lib\python3.3
>
> Given that we already repeat it, isn't it better to be consistent?

But there is no repetition currently on Windows installations.
I though you were just proposing to switch lib (lower-cased, and scripts
renamed as bin, and pythonxx). So I do not think I yet understand what
the proposal is and how it would be different from what I have now.

--

Terry Jan Reedy