[Python-Dev] SocketServer issues

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Wed Mar 14 20:35:54 CET 2012

Yes, setting a timeout and leaving it that way is not the same.  But setting the timeout for _accept only_ is the "same" except one approach requires the check of a bool return, the other the handling of a socket.timeout exeption.
My point is, if sockets already have nice and well defined timeout semantics, why not use them, or even improve them (perhaps with an optional timeout parameter to the accept call) rather than reimplement them with an explicit select.select() call?

Anyway, I'll take another look at the problem and possibly submit a patch suggestion.  Thanks.