[Python-Dev] Drop the new time.wallclock() function?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:23:35 CET 2012

On 15 March 2012 01:58, Matt Joiner <anacrolix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Victor, I think that steady can always be monotonic, there are time sources
> enough to ensure this on the platforms I am aware of. Strict in this sense
> refers to not being adjusted forward, i.e. CLOCK_MONOTONIC vs
> CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW.

I agree - Kristján pointed out that you can ensure that backward jumps
never occur by implementing a cache of the last value.

> Non monotonicity of this call should be considered a bug.

+1

> Strict would be used for profiling where forward leaps would disqualify the timing.

I'm baffled as to how you even identify "forward leaps". In relation
to what? A more accurate time source? I thought that by definition
this was the most accurate time source we have!

+1 on a simple time.steady() with guaranteed monotonicity and no flags
to alter behaviour.

Paul.