[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:53:21 CET 2012

On 16 March 2012 15:17, Lindberg, Van <Van.Lindberg at haynesboone.com> wrote:
> This is not a "we should be consistent" argument - I know that would
> never fly. I do cross-platform dev all the time (develop on Windows and
> Mac, deploy on Linux) and so this bites me *every single time* I want to
> get a consistent layout between these three. That could be because I
> want my deployment environment to match my development environment(s),
> it could be because I need to introspect the layout to find some data,
> or because I want to check in an entire environment into source control.

The only way I can read this to make sense is that you somehow
consider the Python installation as part of your development
environment (you mentioned source control earlier in the thread -
surely you don't manage your Python installation in source control -
binaries, stdlib, etc?). I can't see why you would do this, and it
certainly doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to do to me.

Can you clarify?
Paul.