[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Mar 16 17:57:01 CET 2012

On 3/16/2012 9:22 AM, Lindberg, Van wrote:
> On 3/16/2012 10:53 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
>> >  The only way I can read this to make sense is that you somehow
>> >  consider the Python installation as part of your development
>> >  environment (you mentioned source control earlier in the thread -
>> >  surely you don't manage your Python installation in source control -
>> >  binaries, stdlib, etc?). I can't see why you would do this, and it
>> >  certainly doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to do to me.
>> >
>> >  Can you clarify?
> I don't check in the python binary itself, nor the stdlib, but I*do*
> check in the whole "installation", including the binaries directory.
>
> I like having my deploy environment exactly match my develop
> environment.

So I think I'm finally beginning to see the underlying reason why Van is
desiring this consistency:  It is not that he wants to check in his
installation of Python, but that he wants to check in his installation
of his packages and scripts into a source control environment, and then
be able to check out that source control environment into an
installation of Python on another machine of a different architecture.
In an environment where a source control system is pervasive and well
used, this would be an effective deployment alternative to developing a
packaging/distribution solution using distutils, distutels2, packaging,
easy_install, eggs, or peanuts, or any other such scheme.

But!

Source control environments don't lend themselves to being used for
anything except exact replication of file and directory structure, so
when the different architectures have different directory structures,
this deployment technique cannot easily work.... except, as Van has
discussed, by tweaking the development machine's environment to match
that of the deployment machines... and that only works in the case where
the deployment happens to only one architecture, and the development
machine can be tweaked to match... but deploying to multiple machine
having different architectures and directory structures would be
impossible using the source control deployment technique, because of the
different directory structures.

If Van stated this goal in this thread, I missed it, and I think it is
the missing link in the discussions.  If I'm wrong, apologies for the noise.