[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:19:26 CET 2012

On 20 March 2012 14:08, Lindberg, Van <Van.Lindberg at haynesboone.com> wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 5:48 AM, Mark Hammond wrote:
>> While I'm still unclear on the actual benefits of this, Martin's
>> approach strikes a reasonable compromise so I withdraw my objections.
>

> Ok. I was out of town and so could not respond to most of the latest
> discussion.
>
> A question for you Mark, Paul, (and anyone else): Éric correctly points
> out that there are actually two distinct changes proposed here:
>
> 1. Moving the Python binary
> 2. Changing from "Scripts" to "bin"
>
> So far, the primary resistance seems to be to item #1 - moving the
> python binary. There have been a few people who have noted that #2 will
> require some code to change (i.e. Paul), but I don't see lots of resistance.
>
> Am I reading you correctly?

Somewhat. I don't really object to #1, but mildly object to #2. I also
note that the proposals round the Lib directory seem to have
disappeared. I assume those have been dropped - they were the ones I
did object to.

I also note that I'm assuming virtualenv will change to match whatever
the Python version it's referencing does. I don't see how you can
guarantee that, but if there are discrepancies between virtualenvs and
installed Pythons, my level of objection goes up a little more.

Martin's suggestion of an intermediate registry entry to ease
transition doesn't help me. So I don't care about that.

See a later message for my comments on PATH as it affects this
discussion, though.

Paul.