[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Mar 21 20:12:17 CET 2012

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ned Batchelder<ned at nedbatchelder.com>  wrote:
>> You can use Ctrl-+ to increase the size of the text, and modern browsers
>> remember that for the next time you visit the site.
> That doesn't mean the web designer shouldn't think at least twice
> before specifying a smaller font than the browser default.

Yes, sorry, that was exactly my point earlier in this thread.  I was
being a bit snarky with Serhiy.  Seems the standard here is for people
to request their personal favorite tweaks, and then tell others that
they can use browser customizations to get what they want.

Guido, you encouraged us to use science, but only after describing my
science-based maximum line-length suggestion as "coddling," then said we
should let Georg get on with it, but only after reiterating your
personal favorite tweak (which I happen to agree with).

There's no way a committee (which this thread effectively is) will come
up with a good design.  Everyone will dislike something about it.  I
think it would be interesting to use the power of the web to provide
docs whose style could be adjusted a few ways to make people happy, but
that is probably more than anyone is willing to volunteer for, I know I
can't step up to do it.

Personally, I think two Python projects that have focused on docs and
done a good job of it are Django and readthedocs.org.  Perhaps we could
follow their lead?

--Ned.