[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 00:03:08 CET 2012

On 21 March 2012 22:43, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/03/2012 1:22 AM, Lindberg, Van wrote:
>>
>> Mark, MAL, Martin, Tarek,
>>
>> Could you comment on this?
>

> Eric is correct - tools will be broken by this change.  However, people seem
> willing to push forward on this and accept such breakage as the necessary
> cost.
>
> MAL, in his followup, asks what the advantages are of such a change. I've
> actually been asking for the same thing in this thread and the only real
> answer I've got is "consistency".  So while I share MAL's concerns, people
> seem willing to push forward on this anyway, without the benefits having
> been explained.
>
> IOW, this isn't the decision I would make, but I think I've already made
> that point a number of times in this thread.  Beyond that, there doesn't
> seem much for me to add...

I agree on all points here. I don't understand quite why backward
compatibility is being treated so lightly here. But equally, I've made
my points and have little further to add.

One thought though - maybe this should need a PEP at least, to
document the proposal and record the various arguments made in this
thread?

Paul.