[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs, iteration 2

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Mar 25 17:26:26 CEST 2012

On 3/25/2012 2:34 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
> Here's another try, mainly with default browser font size, more contrast and
> collapsible sidebar again:
>
> http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/build/html2/
Georg, thanks so much for taking on this thankless task with grace and
skill.  It can't be easy dealing with the death by a thousand tweaks,
and I know I've contributed to the flurry.

Nowhere on the page is a simple link to the front page of python.org.
Perhaps the traditional upper-left corner could get a bread-crumb before
"Python v3.3a1 documentation" that simply links to python.org.  Maybe,
use the word Python that is already there:  [Python] » [v3.3a1
documentation].  People do arrive at doc pages via search engines, and
connecting the docs up to the rest of the site would be a good thing.

Speaking of links to other pages, the doc front page, under "Other
resources" lists Guido's Essays and New-style Classes second and third.
These each point to extremely outdated material ("Unifying types and
classes in 2.2", and "Unfortunately, new-style classes have not yet been
integrated into Python's standard documention." ??).  Another, "Other
Doc Collections," points to an empty apache-style directory listing
:-(.  These links should be removed if we don't want to keep those
sections of the site up-to-date.  I know this is not strictly part of
the redesign, but I just noticed it and thought I would throw it out there.

I agree about the outlined style for "New" notices, and the red for
deprecation is extremely alarming! :)

I'll make one last plea for not justifying short paragraphs full of
unbreakable elements, but I know I am in the minority.

> I've also added a little questionable gimmick to the sidebar (when you collapse
> it and expand it again, the content is shown at your current scroll location).
I especially like using dynamic elements on a page to adapt to a
reader's needs. I have some other ideas that I'll try to cobble together.

--Ned.