[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs, iteration 2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 26 05:23:22 CEST 2012

On 3/25/2012 8:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:

>> I ran the following experiment: I put old and new versions of the
>> buitin functions page side-by-side in separate browser windows. I
>> asked my teenage daughter to come into the room, approach slowly, and
>> say when she could read one or both windows. At about 5 feet, she
>> could (just) read the old but not the new.

The test page I used was the builtin function page in the Library Reference.

> Do you often read things on your computer monitor from 5ft away?

No, I cannot possibly do that. The point is that there *is* a distance
for her as well as me at which the old style is clearly more readable
than the new. For my daughter, is is 4-5 feet. For me, it is about 2
feet -- with my prescription computer reading glasses. For you, try it
and find out. Obviously, most of the people here are more like my
daughter than me.

I am visually handicapped, and that particular new style is worse for
me. And to what purpose?

--
Terry Jan Reedy