[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs, iteration 2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 26 17:21:46 CEST 2012

On 3/26/2012 8:46 AM, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2012, at 12:22 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> Does the css specify Courier New or is this an unfortunate fallback
>> that might be improved? Perhaps things look better on max/*nix?
>
> I just checked pydoctheme.css and Courier New is not specified
> there. It only specifies monospace.
>
> That's a default monospace font set in your browser. I see the code
> rendered in the font I selected in my browser preferences as
> Fixed-width font: Menlo 14pt.  It's not thin at all -- that's why I
> selected it.  :-)
>
> It seems you may want to change that setting in your browser. Firefox
> uses Courier New as a default setting.

I found the FireFox monospace setting under
Tools / Options / Content / Default font: / Advanced
and switched to Deja Vu mono, that being the first obviously monospace
font I saw. (Lucida Console is similar.) It has the same 2-pixel lines
as Ariel, and the page now looks okay, although when black (as for
False, True),the lack of serifs reduces the contrast with Arial. I am
guessing that the page now looks somewhat more like it did for Georg
when he worked on it.

Windows Help uses Internet Explorer settings.
Options / Internet Options / General / Appearance / Fonts
However, this only allows choice of base font for pages without a
specified text font, so I do know know what will happen when new format
is applied to the .chm files.

--
Terry Jan Reedy