[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Mar 26 18:35:18 CEST 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>wrote:

> But since he's arguing the
> other end in the directory layout thread (where he says there are many
> special ways to invoke Python so that having different layouts on
> different platforms is easy to work around), I can't give much weight
> to his preference here.

You're misconstruing my argument there: I said, rather, that the One
Obvious Way to deploy a Python application is to dump everything in one
directory, as that is the one way that Python has supported for at least 15
years now.  Calling this a "special" way of invoking Python is disingenuous
at best: it's the documented *default* way of deploying and invoking a
Python script with accompanying libraries.

In contrast, the directory layout thread is about supporting virtualenvs,
which aren't even *in* Python yet -- if anything is to be considered a
special case, that would be it.

The comparison to CSS is also lost on me here; creating user-specific CSS
is more aptly comparable telling people to write their own virtualenv
implementations from scratch, and resizing the browser window is more akin
to telling people to create a virtualenv every time they *run* the
application, rather than just once when installing it.