[Python-Dev] PEP 411 - request for pronouncement

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Mar 27 05:34:51 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the PEP is almost ready for approval. Congratulations! A few comments:
>>
>> - I'd leave some wiggle room for the docs owner (Georg) about the
>> exact formulation of the text blurb included for provisional modules
>> and the glossary entry; I don't want the PEP to have the last word
>> here.
>
> Sure, Georg is free to modify the pep to amend the formulation if he wants to.

Ok. He can do that at any time. :-)

>> - I think we are settling on the term "feature release" instead of the
>> somewhat ambiguous "minor release".
>
> Fixed

Great.

>> - As was discussed at the language summit, I'd like to emphasize that
>> the bar for making changes to a provisional package should be
>> considered pretty high. That is, while we don't make guarantees about
>> backward compatibility, we still expect that most of the API of most
>> provisional packages will be unchanged at graduation. Withdrawals
>> should also be pretty rare.
>>

> Added this emphasis at the end of the "Criteria for graduation" section.

Cool.

>> - Should we limit the duration of the provisional state to 1 or 2
>> feature releases?
>
> Initially the PEP came out with a 1-release limit, but some of the
> devs pointed out
> (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-February/116406.html)
> that me should not necessarily restrict ourselves.

Gotcha.

>> - I'm not sure what to do with regex -- it may be better to just
>> include in as "re" and keep the old re module around under another
>> name ("sre" has been proposed half jokingly).
>>

> Document updated in the PEPs Hg, rev a1bb0a9af63f.

TBH I'm not sure what I meant to say about regex in
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-January/115962.html
... But I think if we end up changing the decision about this or any
others that doesn't invalidate this PEP, which is informational PEP
anyway.

I've marked it up as Approved. Thanks, and congrats!

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)