[Python-Dev] PEP 418: Add monotonic clock

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 28 16:14:16 CEST 2012

Victor,

I have completely lost track of the details of this discussion. Could
you (with help from others who contributed) try to compile a table
showing, for each platform (Windows/Mac/Linux/BSD) which clocks (or
variations) we are considering, and for each of those:

- a link for the reference documentation
- what their typical accuracy is (barring jumps)
- what they do when the "civil" time is made to jump (forward or back)
by the user
- how they are affected by small tweaks to the civil time by NTP
- what they do if the system is suspended and resumed
- whether they can be shared between processes running on the same machine
- whether they may fail or be unsupported under some circumstances

I have a feeling that if I saw such a table it would be much easier to decide.

I assume much of this has already been said at one point in this
thread, but it's impossible to have an overview at the moment.

If someone has more questions they'd like to see answered please add
to the list.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)