[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython (3.2): Issue #14409: IDLE doesn't not execute commands from shell with default

Andrew Svetlov andrew.svetlov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:31:01 CEST 2012

Thank you for mentoring.

I will fix NEWS if you help me with better text.

The bug fixed is that commit is:
IDLE has 3 configs: user, system default and hardcoded in python code.
Last one had bad binding for <Return> key.
Usually this config is never used: user or system ones overrides former.
But if IDLE cannot open config files by some reason it switches to
hardcoded configs and user got broken IDLE.

Can anybody guess me short and descriptive message describing what fix well?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM, andrew.svetlov
> <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
>> +- Issue #14409: IDLE doesn't not execute commands from shell,
>> +  error with default keybinding for Return. (Patch by Roger Serwy)
>
> The double negative here makes this impossible to understand. Could we
> please get an updated NEWS entry that explains what actually changed
> in IDLE to fix this?
>
> Perhaps something like "IDLE now always sets the default keybind for
> Return correctly, ensuring commands can be executed in the IDLE shell
> window"? (assuming that's what happened).
>
> This is important, folks: NEWS entries need to be comprehensible for
> people that *haven't* read the associated tracker issue. This means
> that issue titles (which generally describe a problem someone was
> having) are often inappropriate as NEWS items. NEWS items should be
> short descriptions that clearly describe *what changed*, perhaps with
> some additional information to explain a bit about why the change was
> made.
>
> Regards,
> Nick.
>
> --