[Python-Dev] PEP 418: Add monotonic clock

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Mar 31 02:26:35 CEST 2012

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> But for the other, I'm still at a loss, and that name is the most
> important one. We can't call it steady because it isn't always.
> highres or hires sounds awkward; try_monotonic or try_steady are even
> more awkward. I looked in an online thesaurus and here's a list of
> what it gave:

"hires" is a real English word, the present tense verb for engaging the
service or labour of someone or something in return for payment, as in "he
hires a gardener to mow the lawn". Can we please eliminate it from
consideration? It is driving me slowly crazy every time I see it used as an
abbreviation for high resolution.

> Big Ben, alarm, chroniker, chronograph, chronometer, digital watch,
> hourglass, metronome, pendulum, stopwatch, sundial, tattler,
> tick-tock, ticker, timekeeper, timemarker, timepiece, timer, turnip,
> watch
>
> I wonder if something with tick would work? (Even though it returns a float. :-)
>
> If all else fails, I'd go with turnip.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

For the record, "turnip" in this sense is archaic slang for a thick pocket watch.

--
Steven