[Python-Dev] Email6 status (was Open PEPs and large-scale changes for 3.3)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue May 1 16:55:03 CEST 2012

On May 01, 2012, at 10:40 AM, R. David Murray wrote:

>I guess it's time to talk about my plans for this one :)

Thanks for the update RDM.  I really wish I had more time to contribute to
email6, but I'd still really like to see this land in 3.3 if possible.

I suspect you're just not going to get much practical feedback on email6 until
it's available in Python's stdlib.  I don't know how many Python 3 email
consuming applications there are out there.  The one I'm intimately familiar
with <wink> still can't port to Python 3 because of its dependencies.

>What I'd like to do is have the second patch introduce the new policies
>as *provisional policies*.  That is, in the spirit but not the letter
>of PEP 411, I'd like the new header API to be considered provisional
>and subject to improvement in 3.4 based on what we learn by having it
>actually out there in the field and getting tested.

That seems reasonable to me.  The documentation should be clear as to what's
provisional and what's stable.  With that, and based on your level of
confidence, I'd be in favor of getting email6 into Python 3.3.

Cheers,
-Barry