[Python-Dev] Another buildslave - Ubuntu again

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 2 09:23:44 CEST 2012

On 02.05.2012 08:07, Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de>  wrote:
>> I'm not sure how useful it is to have a build slave which you can't
>> commit to having for more than 3 months. So I'm -0 on adding this
>> slave, but it is up to Antoine to decide.
>
> I am likely switch to places within 3 months, but I am hoping that
> having a 24/7 connected system could provide some experience for
> running a dedicated system in the longer run.

You are talking about experience that you gain, right? Some of the build
slaves have been connected for many years by now, so "we"
(the buildbot admins) already have plenty experience, which can
be summarized as "Unix good, Windows bad".

I suggest that you can still gain the experience when you are able to
provide a longer-term slave. You are then still free to drop out of
this at any time, so you don't really need to commit to supporting
this for years - but knowing that it likely is only for 3 months
might be too much effort for too little gain.

If you want to learn more about buildbot, I suggest that you also
setup a master on your system. You will have to find one of the hg
pollers as a change source, or additionally setup a local clone with
a post-receive hook which pulls cpython every five minutes or so
through a cron job, and posts changes to the local master.

Regards,
Martin