[Python-Dev] Does trunk still support any compilers that *don't* allow declaring variables after code?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed May 2 15:56:40 CEST 2012

Matt Joiner, 02.05.2012 15:37:
> On May 2, 2012 6:00 PM, "Antoine Pitrou" wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2012 01:43:32 -0700
>> Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I realize we can't jump to C99 because of A Certain Compiler.  (Its name
>>> rhymes with Bike Row Soft Frizz You All See Muss Muss.)  But even that
>>> compiler added this extension in the early 90s.
>>>
>>> Do we officially support any C compilers that *don't* permit
>>> "intermingled variable declarations and code"?  Do we *unofficially*
>>> support any?  And if we do, what do we gain?
>>
>> Well, there's this one called MSVC, which we support quite officially.
>
> Not sure if comic genius or can't rhyme.

I'm not sure if MSVC and MSVC++ are the same thing, but I surely remember
reports by MSVC users only a few years ago that Cython generated C code
contained a declaration after an executed code at some point, and that
failed to compile for them. So, assuming that MSVC++ "added this extension
in the early 90s" and didn't remove it in the meantime, they must be two
different things.

Stefan