[Python-Dev] outdated info on download pages for older versions

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed May 2 18:33:42 CEST 2012

On 2 May 2012, at 16:55, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 5/2/2012 10:16 AM, Carl Meyer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are the download pages for older Python versions supposed to be kept up
>> to date at all? I just noticed that the 2.4.6 download page
>> (http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/) says things like
>> "Python 2.4 is now in security-fix-only mode" (whereas in fact it no
>> longer gets even security fixes), and "Python 2.6 is the latest release
>> of Python."
>>
>> While checking to see if there was a SIG that would be more appropriate
>> for this question, I also noticed that if one clicks on Community |
>> Mailing Lists in the left sidebar of python.org, there's a "Special
>> Interest Groups" link under "Mailing Lists" which is a 404 (not to
>> mention redundant, as there's also one parallel to "Mailing Lists" that
>> works).
>>
>> (Please do let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for website
>> issues/questions).
>
> I would send the above to webmaster at python.org (should be at the bottom of pages). We develop CPython but do not directly manage the website.

Not true. The download pages are administered by the release managers not the web team.

For the record, the best way of contacting the web team (such as it is) is the pydotorg-www mailing list. There are precious few people (even fewer than there are in the web team...) responding to emails on the webmaster alias. :-)

Michael