[Python-Dev] time.clock_info() field names

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 4 02:44:54 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 04May2012 01:47, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> | I prefer "adjustable", because no OS tell us if the clock has an
> | ajustement or not... except Windows: see GetSystemTimeAdjustment().
> | http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724394%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> |
> | I propose to rename is_adjusted (which is now called adjusted) to
> | adjustable,
>
> I'm -1 on that. To my mind "adjustable" suggests that the caller can
> adjust the clock, while "adjusted" suggests that the clock may be adjusted
> by a mechanism outside the caller's hands. That latter is the meaning
> in the context of the PEP.

+1

The connotations of "adjusted" and "adjustable" are slightly different
and, in this case, "adjusted" is a better fit. The fact that
"adjusted" may be misinterpreted as "this clock has been adjusted in
the past" (incorrectly leaving out the "and/or may be adjusted in the
future" part) is still closer to the mark than the likely
misinterpretation of "adjustable" as meaning "can be adjusted directly
by the application" (which is simply false, unless the application
starts tinkering with the relevant platform specific time
configuration interfaces, which aren't exposed by the standard
library).

Regards,
Nick.