[Python-Dev] PEP 405 (pyvenv) and system Python upgrades

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sat May 5 07:58:48 CEST 2012

On 5/4/2012 9:39 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> The gist of my response is that the venv 'tail' should way the python
> 'dog' as little as possbile.

Yes, that was exactly my thought too.  But I'm not sure the technology
permits, with Windows not having exec.  On the other hand, one might
speculate about how venv, instead of copying Python.exe, might instead
install the launcher in the place where python.exe is currently copied.
The launcher does the "next best thing to exec". Plus it would save a
wee bit of space, being smaller than python.exe.  On platforms that have
symlinks, they could be used instead.