[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] peps: Update PEP 1 to better reflect current practice

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat May 5 18:56:54 CEST 2012

Thanks for doing this update Nick.  I have just a few comments.

On May 05, 2012, at 02:57 PM, nick.coghlan wrote:

>+Developers with commit privileges for the `PEP repository`_ may claim
>+PEP numbers directly by creating and committing a new PEP. When doing so,
>+the developer must handle the tasks that would normally be taken care of by
>+the PEP editors (see `PEP Editor Responsibilities & Workflow`_).

While I certainly don't mind (in fact, prefer) those with commit privileges to
just go ahead and commit their PEP to the repo, I'd like for there to be
*some* communication with the PEP editors first.  E.g. sanity checks on the
basic format or idea (was this discussed on python-ideas first?), or
reservation of PEP numbers.

When you do contact the PEP editors, please also specify whether you have
commit privileges or not.  It's too hard to remember or know who has those
rights, and too much hassle to look them up. ;)

OTOH, I'm also happy to adopt an EAFP style rather than LBYL, so that the PEP
editors can re-assign numbers or whatever after the fact.  We've done this in
a few cases, and it's never been that much of a problem.

Still, core developers needn't block (for too long) on the PEP editors.

>+The final authority for PEP approval is the BDFL. However, whenever a new
>+PEP is put forward, any core developer that believes they are suitably
>+experienced to make the final decision on that PEP may offer to serve as
>+the "PEP czar" for that PEP. If their self-nomination is accepted by the
>+other core developers and the BDFL, then they will have the authority to
>+approve (or reject) that PEP. This process happens most frequently with PEPs
>+where the BDFL has granted in principle approval for *something* to be done,
>+but there are details that need to be worked out before the PEP can be
>+accepted.

I'd reword this to something like the following:

    The final authority for the PEP approval is the BDFL.  However, the BDFL
    may delegate the final approval authority to a "PEP czar" for that PEP.
    This happens most frequently with PEPs where the BDFL has granted approval
    in principle for *something* to be done, and in agreement with the general
    proposals of the PEP, but there are details that need to be worked out
    before the final PEP can be approved.  When an `PEP-Czar` header must be
    added to the PEP to record this delegation.  The format of this header is
    the same as the `Author` header.

This leave out the whole self-nomination text, which I think isn't very
relevant to the official addition of the czar role (sadly, no clever bacronym
has come to mind, and BDFOP hasn't really taken off ;).

>+* Run ``./genpepindex.py`` and ``./pep2html.py <PEP Number>`` to ensure they
>+  are generated without errors. If either triggers errors, then the web site
>+  will not be updated to reflect the PEP changes.

Or just run "make" on systems that have that handy convenience. :)

Cheers,
-Barry

(Nick, if you agree with these changes, please just go ahead and make them.)