[Python-Dev] Adding types.build_class for 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:10:49 CEST 2012

A while back I pointed out that there's no easy PEP 3115 compliant way
to dynamically create a class (finding the right metaclass, calling
__prepare__, etc).

I initially proposed providing this as operator.build_class, and
Daniel Urban created a patch that implements that API
(http://bugs.python.org/issue14588).

However, in starting to write the documentation for the new API, I
realised that the operator module really isn't the right home for the
functionality.

Instead, I'm now thinking we should add a _types C extension module
and expose the new function as types.build_class(). I don't want to
add an entire new module just for this feature, and the types module
seems like an appropriate home for it.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Nick.