[Python-Dev] PEP 405 (pyvenv) and system Python upgrades

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 7 23:25:41 CEST 2012

Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren <at> mac.com> writes:

> Because of this trick pyvenv won't know which executable the user actually
> called and hence cannot find the pyvenv configuration file (which is next to
> the stub executable).

Ah, but the stub has been changed to set an environment variable,
__PYTHONV_LAUNCHER__, which points to itself, before it execs the real Python.
On OS X, Python code checks for this, rather than sys.executable, to determine
the location of the pyvenv.cfg file. This seems to work for me (Ned Deily is
looking into it more closely, I believe).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip