[Python-Dev] Point of building without threads?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue May 8 00:25:43 CEST 2012

> I guess a long time ago, threading support in operating systems wasn't
> very widespread, but these days all our supported platforms have it.
> Is it still useful for production purposes to configure
> --without-threads? Do people use this option for something else than
> curiosity of mind?

At work, I'm working on embedded systems (television set top boxes)
with a Linux kernel with the GNU C library, and we do use threads!

I'm not sure that Python runs on slower/smaller systems because they
have other constrains like having very few memory, maybe no MMU and
not using the glibc but µlibc for example.

There is the "python-on-a-chip" project. It is written from scratch
and is very different from CPython. I don't think that it uses
threads.
http://code.google.com/p/python-on-a-chip/

Victor