[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 415 (alternative implementation strategy for PEP 409's "raise exc from None" syntax)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon May 14 16:20:40 CEST 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 10:04 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>As the subject line says, as Guido's delegate, I'm accepting
>Benjamin's PEP 415 with the current reference implementation.

I'm glad to see this PEP get accepted.  I have just minor quibbles :).

Can you or Benjamin improve the title of the PEP?  It's already difficult
enough to keep the mappings of PEP numbers to subjects in your head, even for
the subset of PEPs you track.  Having a PEP title that refers to *another* PEP
number just makes things too confusing.  How about:

"Suppressing exception context via BaseException attribute"  ?

I also understand that PEP 415 is an elaboration of PEP 409, not a complete
replacement, however it seems wrong that PEP 409 does not even reference PEP
415.

Thus, while not a perfect solution, I suggest PEP 409 get a Superseded-By
header that points to 415.  415 should get a Replaces header that points to
409.  Then PEP 415 should get a section describing how the bulk of 409 is
still valid, except for blah blah blah.  (IOW, include the still valid parts
of PEP 409 by reference.)

Cheers,
-Barry