[Python-Dev] docs.python.org pointing to Python 3 by default?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat May 19 20:43:13 CEST 2012

On May 18, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> At what point should we cut over docs.python.org to point to the Python 3
> documentation by default?  Wouldn't this be an easy bit to flip in order to
> promote Python 3 more better?

I would like to suggest a less all-or-nothing approach.  Just redirecting to Python 3 docs is going to create a lot of support headaches for people trying to help others learn Python.

Right now, e.g. <http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html> directly renders a page.  I suggest that this be changed to a redirect to <http://docs.python.org/release/2.7/tutorial/index.html>.  The fact that people can bookmark the "default" version of a document is kind of a bug.

The front page, <http://docs.python.org/> could then be changed into a "are you looking for documentation for Python 2 or Python 3?" page, with nice big click targets for each (an initial suggestion: half the page each, split down the middle, but the web design isn't really the important thing for me).

If you want to promote python 3 then putting "most recent version" links (for example, see <http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/10.2.0/api/twisted.internet.defer.inlineCallbacks.html>) across the top of all the old versions would be pretty visible.

-glyph