[Python-Dev] docs.python.org pointing to Python 3 by default?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun May 20 01:38:26 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:43 AM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> Right now, e.g. <http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html> directly renders a page.  I suggest that this be changed to a redirect to <http://docs.python.org/release/2.7/tutorial/index.html>.  The fact that people can bookmark the "default" version of a document is kind of a bug.

I'm -1 on that; unless there's a strong reason to avoid it,
bookmarking the "default" version seems like the right thing to me.
(One example of a strong reason would be if all Python modules were
numbered sequentially in alphabetical order, meaning that adding a new
module changes the URLs of existing modules' pages.) Compare the
PostgreSQL documentation: if you do a web search for 'postgres
nextval', you'll find the documentation for Postgres's sequence
functions (which is correct), but chances are it'll be the old docs -
version 8.1 most likely. If there's no weighting toward one in
particular, I'd say that returning information for the latest version
is the most logical default.

Obviously there's more docs difference between Python 2 and Python 3
than between Postgres 8.1 and Postgres 9.1, but the most accessible
version of a page should not IMHO distinguish between Python minor
versions.

ChrisA