[Python-Dev] Language reference updated for metaclasses

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:38:10 CEST 2012

When writing the docs for types.new_class(), I discovered that the
description of the class creation process in the language reference
was not only hard to follow, it was actually *incorrect* when it came
to describing the algorithm for determining the correct metaclass.

I rewrote the offending section of the language reference to both
describe the correct algorithm, and hopefully also to be easier to
read. Once people have had a chance to review the changes in the 3.3
docs, I'll backport the update to 3.2.

Previous docs: http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/datamodel.html#customizing-class-creation
Updated docs: http://docs.python.org/dev/reference/datamodel.html#customizing-class-creation

Cheers,