[Python-Dev] docs.python.org pointing to Python 3 by default?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Mon May 21 19:58:44 CEST 2012

Le 21/05/2012 07:42, Georg Brandl a écrit :
> What about:
>
> * Canonical:
>
> docs.python.org/2/
> docs.python.org/3/
>
> for latest versions of 2.x and 3.x
>
> docs.python.org/2.7/ etc.
>
> for latest minor versions
>
> docs.python.org/dev/
>
> for latest dev version.
+1.

I’d be +1 to adding /stable but both 2.7 and 3.2 are stable at this time.

> * Redirected:
>
> docs.python.org/  -->  either /2/ or /3/ or a "disambiguation page"
Either sounds good, I’m in favor of redirecting to /2 for a few years
still to preserve existing links and avoid the need to click on each page.

> docs.python.org/py3k/ -> /3/
+1, the py3k name is not obvious for everyone.

> There is also /release/X.Y.Z for individual released versions, which
> I don't want to change.
The URIs should not change, but it seems a bit bad to me that for
example the 2.7.1 docs don’t link to the latest 2.7 page and mention 2.6
as stable version

> I also like Martin's idea of offering more links between individual
> pages, not only the front-pages.
+1

On a related note, we may want to find a way to make the version more
prominent in the pages; I’ve seen beginners install Python 3 and use the
Python 2 docs and fail at the first print 'Hello, world!' example.
That’s why I support always having the version numbers in the URIs.

Cheers