[Python-Dev] An infinite loop in dictobject.c

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu May 24 22:15:52 CEST 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:11:58 -0700
Daniel Farina <daniel at heroku.com> wrote:

> Finally, what's especially strange is that I had gone a very long time
> running this exact version of Python, libraries, and application quite
> frequently: it suddenly started cropping up a little while ago (maybe
> a few weeks).

Do you mean it's a hand-compiled Python? Are you sure you didn't
recompile it / update to a later version recently?

If you didn't change anything, this may be something unrelated to
Python, such as a hardware problem.

You are right that ma_fill == ma_used should, AFAIK, never happen.
Perhaps you could add conditional debug statements when that condition
happens, to know where it comes from.

Furthermore, if this is a hand-compiled Python, you could reconfigure
it --with-pydebug, so as to enable more assertions in the interpreter
core (this will make it quite a bit slower too :-)).

Regards

Antoine.