[Python-Dev] cpython: simplify and rewrite the zipimport part of 702009f3c0b1 a bit

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat May 26 11:07:18 CEST 2012

On 05/25/2012 10:14 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 18:57:57 +0200
> Georg Brandl<g.brandl at gmx.net>  wrote:
>> This is probably minor, but wouldn't it make more sense to have those
>> constants uppercased?  At least that's the general style we have in
>> the codebase for enum values.
> +1, this surprised me too.

FWIW I contributed the utime enum with the lowercase values.  I don't
uppercase enum values as a rule.

Uppercasing preprocessor macros is a good idea because they're not
safe.  There are loads of ways they can produce unexpected behavior.  So
if something funny is going on, and the code involves some preprocessor
slight-of-hand, those identifiers pop out at you and you know to
double-check them.  But enum values are as safe as houses.  I think of
them as equivalent to const ints, which I also don't uppercase.  There's
no need to draw attention to them.

There's nothing in PEP 7 either way about enum nomenclature.  But
Benjamin has already uppercased these (and some other) enums, so I
suppose the community has spoken.

//arry/