[Python-Dev] PEP 405 (Python Virtual Environments) and Windows script support

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue May 29 08:26:43 CEST 2012

Am 29.05.2012 01:15, schrieb martin at v.loewis.de:
>> Comments welcome, especially on whether Windows users agree that
>> something like this is needed in the absence of PEP 397 in Python 3.3.
>
> AFAICT, there is no need to check in the binary into revision control.
> Instead, the Windows build process should create, package, and deploy
> them, and venv should then just expect that they are there.
>
> So I request that this checkin is reverted, preferably before the alpha
> release.
>
> I also agree with the fundamental principle that an open source project
> should never ever include binaries for which it doesn't also provide
> source code. If you cannot release the sources right now, do not release
> the binaries either.

Agreed.  Vinay, please either let me know when this is rectified (see also
Nick's request about reverting #12394 specific parts of the commit), or
revert the whole PEP 405 implementation for now, if the time is too short:
I don't want to delay the alpha much longer.  There is still time until
beta after all.

Georg