[Python-Dev] VS 11 Express is Metro only.

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu May 31 02:05:30 CEST 2012

On 05/30/2012 12:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Please understand that Visual Studio never had the notion of
> "targetting" an operating system. The Windows SDK has that notion, and
> it appears that targetting XP continues to be supported.

I may be misremembering, but--the C API of necessity calls the Win32
API.  So if Microsoft chooses to call new Win32 APIs as part of the C
API, this can force you to require a minimum Windows version.  I dimly
recall an incident some years back where part of the startup code for a
C program (code called before main / WinMain) was calling a newish API,
and thus programs generated with that version of the compiler could not
support older Windows versions.

//arry/