[Python-Dev] chained assignment weirdity

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 6 16:02:31 CET 2012

On 06/11/2012 12:01, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> As noted, it's really only counterintuitive if your intuition is
> primed to expect C style right to left chained assignments.
>
> Python, on the other hand, is able to preserve primarily left to right
> evaluation in this case with only the far right hand expression
> needing to be evaluated out of order.

It strikes me that a really intuitive language (at least for Westerners
who read left-to-right) would write assignments as
     expression --> target
and then the order of assignment in
     expression -> target1 -> target2
could be the natural left-to-right one.
[Sorry, this is more appropriate to Python-ideas, but I couldn't resist
adding my 2c.]
Rob Cliffe