[Python-Dev] problems building python2.7

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 10:57:22 CET 2012

Hi All,

I wanted to run the unit tests before checking in the patch for
http://bugs.python.org/issue16441, even though it's a trivial change, so
I was trying to follow the instructions at:

http://docs.python.org/devguide/

I'm on MacOS, so following the "unix" instructions did:

./configure --with-pydebug && make -j2

This appears to have worked, given the end of the output:

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_bsddb             dl                 gdbm
imageop            linuxaudiodev      ossaudiodev
readline           spwd               sunaudiodev
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

running build_scripts
creating build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting /Users/chris/LocalHG/cpython/Tools/scripts/pydoc
-> build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting /Users/chris/LocalHG/cpython/Tools/scripts/idle ->
build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting /Users/chris/LocalHG/cpython/Tools/scripts/2to3 ->
build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting /Users/chris/LocalHG/cpython/Lib/smtpd.py ->
build/scripts-2.7
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/pydoc from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/idle from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/2to3 from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/smtpd.py from 644 to 755
[65930 refs]

However, I can't find the python it's built...
I thought I'd be clever and try:

buzzkill:cpython chris$ cat build/scripts-2.7/2to3
#!/usr/local/bin/python2.7

There is a python there, but it's a symlink put in place around a year ago.

So, where should I look for the built python?

Okay, so regardless, my change is only to the stdlib, so I thought I'd
try the test instructions anyway:

/usr/local/bin/python2.7 -m test -j3 gives:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
No module named test.__main__; 'test' is a package and cannot be
directly executed

Now, if this had worked, would it have discovered the right gzip tests,
or is it going to run whatever came with the python2.7 distro the binary
comes from?

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk