[Python-Dev] problems building python2.7

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 9 12:54:24 CET 2012

On 9/11/12 12:09:26, Hans Mulder wrote:

>>> It should be python.exe (yes really).
>>
>> Hah! Should http://docs.python.org/devguide/ be updated to reflect this
>> or does this only affect Mac OS? (or should we correct the build so it
>> doesn't spit out a .exe?)
>
> It only affects MacOS.  On other Unix system, the build process spits
> out an executable named "python".  On MacOS that's not possible,
> because that name would clash with the subdirectory named "Python".
>
>>> After the build you should be able to do:
>>>
>>>     ./python.exe
>>
>> Unfortunately, still:
>>
>> buzzkill:cpython chris$ ./python.exe -m test -j3
>> /Users/chris/LocalHG/cpython/python.exe: No module named test.__main__;
>> 'test' is a package and cannot be directly executed
>> [18856 refs]
>
> How about "make test" ?
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> -- HansM

I tried "make test", and I got:

test test_urllib failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/hans/python/cpython/cpython-2.7/Lib/test/test_urllib.py",
line 235, in test_missing_localfile
    fp.close()
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'fp' referenced before assignment

Is this a bug in the test suite, or a regression in 2.7.3+ ?

This is on MacOS 10.6.5, using a checkout from hg.python.org
from earlier today.

-- HansM