[Python-Dev] externals?

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Fri Nov 16 13:12:52 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 01:20:09AM -0800, Kristj?n Valur J?nsson wrote:
> Perhaps the unix makefiles get the proper version, but a windows developer has to fetch those externals manually.

    Pro-tip: if you're developing on Windows, you're mad if you don't
    prime your dev env with Tools\buildbot\externals.bat.  It takes
    care of *everything*.  I wish every proprietary UNIX system we
    support had something similar.

> Also, is there any reason to keep this in svn?

    I think it's more a case of there being no tangible benefit (and
    numerous drawbacks) to switching it to hg.  I personally have no
    need for a local hg repo with 30 different Tcl/Tk histories in
    it.

    Subversion's good for this sort of use case.  The externals repo
    gets committed to maybe, what, 3-4 times a year?

> Why not check this in to HG, we need not worry about history, etc.

    Who are these mystical people worried about history? ;-)

        Trent.