[Python-Dev] Failed issue tracker submission

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 07:35:38 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:01:52 +0100, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:47:33 +0100
>> martin at v.loewis.de wrote:

>> > It's certainly not deliberate that they are sent. However, there
>> > are too few people interested in working on fixing that so that
>> > it remains unfixed. Even finding out why they are sent to python-dev
>> > is tricky.
>>
>> I think it's because I configured the dummy "python-dev" user that way:
>> http://bugs.python.org/user13902
>
> I'm pretty sure it's because python-dev is the 'from' address
> used when the messages are sent...and the configuration of
> that user is what allows them to be accepted.
>
> I suggest changing the from address and the account configuration
> to tracker-discuss at python.org instead.

Above and on the meta tracker issue I filed, it sounds like Martin is
saying that the e-mails should never be going to python-dev (or
tracker-discuss) in the first place -- due to a roundup bug and
because the e-mail is already being sent to the submitter and the
roundup admins.  Thus, changing the from address would only mitigate
the problem and not be fixing the root cause.

--Chris