[Python-Dev] externals?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 18 20:12:12 CET 2012

On 11/18/2012 12:05 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:18 AM,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>
>> Zitat von Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>:

>>> Or have all versions in the same repo as usual (with branches), but
>>> have hg subrepos point to different repos: ones extracted from the
>>> main repo by containing only the correct branch.  But it might be a
>>> bit delicate to pull this off.  (hg clone takes a "-r" option and
>>> copies only things needed for the given revision or branch, but
>>> apparently we can't pass this option automatically to the cloning of
>>> subrepos.  (Maybe it points out that subrepos are a hack best done
>>> without altogether, which is what we did in pypy.))
>>

>> I'd like to stress that we don't need any versioning here. wget and
>> tar would be sufficient, except that it's Windows, so we have neither
>> wget nor tar. However, including a PowerShell script may be an option;
>> most developers will have PowerShell already on their system. AFAICT,
>> PowerShell can do HTTP downloads and extract zip files.
>
> I would hope we can just write a simple Python script to do this,
> rather than require PowerShell.
>
> I'm 99.99999% certain anyone building Python on Windows will already
> have a version of Python installed. Plus, they're going to need it
> anyway to build OpenSSL (see PCbuild/build_ssl.py and the references
> to it in VS projects).

After reading the thread, I realize that I do not actually want externam
dependency files moved to hg. I and others are not going to push changes
back, so we do not need hg clones.

What would be good would to be able to access the files and use them to
build python without svn installed. I don't know the best way to do
that, but if tarred or zipped releases were made for each version that
should be downloaded, our urllib, tarfile/ziplib, and any other modules
needed should be sufficient to transfer and unpack.

--
Terry Jan Reedy