[Python-Dev] Socket timeout and completion based sockets

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Tue Nov 27 10:35:15 CET 2012

This is getting off-topic, but:
CancelIoEx() is a new api that I wasn't aware of (my IOCP solution dates back to 2005).  It appears that this can be used, although the documentation is sketchy.
This worries me:
"If the file handle is associated with a completion port, an I/O completion packet is not queued to the port if a synchronous operation is successfully canceled. For asynchronous operations still pending, the cancel operation will queue an I/O completion packet."
This _might_ mean that synchronizing the cancel request with a callback that expects to be called, but then, may not be called, can be difficult.  It is possible that MS didn't think their API completely through (nothing new here.)

Anyway, that is somewhat beside the point

Even if we can cancel an ongoing operation there needs to be synchronization, so that any data that is received(or sent) is correctly communicated ot the app.  If there isn't a cancel option in the API (not talking about windows here) then this would mean queueing up data for recv(), and no simple solution for send().

So, basically, what I'm saying is, that enabling re-startable socket timeout semantics for sockets implemented with "completion" semantics, rather than "ready" semantics _can_ be difficult, hence my question.