[Python-Dev] Proposed schedule for Python 3.4

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 3 18:01:37 CEST 2012

On Oct 03, 2012, at 11:22 AM, R. David Murray wrote:

>I don't have any data to back this up, but it is my impression that more
>distributions are providing access to alpha releases in their "testing"
>package trees.

Ubuntu and Debian generally does, thanks to Matthias's great work.  Python
3.3's been available (though obviously not the default) in Ubuntu 12.10 for a
while now, and in Debian experimental, and we have started to get package
build failure reports related to it:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-python@lists.debian.org;tag=python3.3

It's not that much yet though, and I'm not sure if having the alphas available
really helps with that, but it *is* nice to be able to make alphas available
to our users via experimental, PPAs, etc. so that folks can play with it much
more easily.

>As Python continues to grow in importance[1], the number of people
>interacting with Python on the distribution development teams[2] increases,
>and therefor the number of people likely to run alphas for testing increases.
>So even if Larry were right *now*, he isn't right for the future, and we
>should do all we can to nurture an increasing culture of alpha-testing.

Definitely.

>[1] in case anyone hasn't noticed, we *are* a growing community, regardless
>    of where various analytics put us relative to other languages :)

Which is *fantastic*!

Cheers,
-Barry