[Python-Dev] PEP or formal description of Python module structure

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 09:43:14 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what Python module is internally (WIP
http://wiki.python.org/moin/techtonik)? Is there already a good piece
of documentation that I missed that can answer all these questions
already?

...what properties do you get in empty Python module (__doc__, __name__, ...)?
...what of those properties are set by the language standard
(required) and what are just optional helpers from/for the
interpreter?
...what is the proper way to inspect modules and access their
properties at runtime?
...what optional properties are defined by language standard that can
you set implicitly?
...how each internal property is used by the interpreter and when it appeared?
...what is the proper way to create module namespace at run-time?

I'd like to see some kind of reference of properties with
classification required/optional, purpose, when set, who uses, how to
approach etc. in one place.

--
anatoly t.