[Python-Dev] Bumping autoconf from 2.68 to 2.69

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Tue Oct 16 10:04:36 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:12:35AM -0700, R. David Murray wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:18:04 -0700, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> > In article <20121016043352.GA21441 at snakebite.org>,
> >  Trent Nelson <trent at snakebite.org> wrote:
> > >     Any objections to regenerating configure with autoconf 2.69?  The
> > >     current version is based off 2.68, which was release on the 22nd
> > >     of September 2010.  2.69 was released on the 24th of April, 2012.
> > >
> > >     (There are some fixes for the more esoteric UNIX platforms that
> > >      Snakebite will benefit from.  Also, I struggled to find a box
> > >      with 2.68 even installed when I needed to regenerate configure
> > >      this weekend; it seems all package management/ports have bumped
> > >      to 2.69.)
> > >
> > >     If there are no objections, can it be applied across the board?
> > >     2.7, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.x?
> >
> > I believe it is the case that we don't currently require a specific
> > version of autoconf.  autoconf is only run when making a committer makes
> > a change to configure.ac et al and then it is run on the committer's
> > machine.  So whatever is checked in for those files reflects the version
> > of autoconf that the committer used.
>
> My understanding is that we use a specific version of autoconf.
> The reason is that otherwise we end up with useless churn in the repo
> as the generated file changes when different committers use different
> versions.

    Indeed; the 2.68->2.69 bump results in a 746 line diff for
    configure.

> In the past we have had issues with a new autoconf version
> actually breaking the Python build, so we also need to test a new version
> before switching to it.

    If there are no objections in principle to the bump (i.e. nobody is
    aware of any existing 2.69 incompatibilities), my plan is to bump,
    then make sure all the build slaves and Snakebite machines work with
    the new version.

    If 2.69 introduces insurmountable build issues, I'll simply revert
    back to 2.68 (with some notes at the top of configure.ac mentioning
    the issues with 2.69).

        Trent.