[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Build the _sha3 module with VS 2008.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 21 21:27:11 CEST 2012

Am 21.10.12 17:32, schrieb Christian Heimes:
> Am 21.10.2012 17:23, schrieb antoine.pitrou:
>> http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/ce9c9cbd1b11
>> changeset:   79875:ce9c9cbd1b11
>> user:        Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
>> date:        Sun Oct 21 17:21:04 2012 +0200
>> summary:
>>    Build the _sha3 module with VS 2008.
>
> For VS 2010 I decided against this approach and built the extension as a
> separate .pyd extension because the _sha3 module is rather large (> 200
> kB). I think your change is going to break VS 2010.
>
> What do the other think? Should the code by built-in by default?

It's a packaging and maintenance issue. If it is in pythonxy.dll, the
project file becomes easier to maintain. That's why I was always opposed
to splitting up the existing pythonxy.dll into many project files.

OTOH, when adding a module, a decision can be made based on size (e.g.);
if the module depends on extra libraries, it shouldn't be in
pythonxy.dll.

For VS 2008, I don't care - this set of project files isn't really
intended for production use, but rather for ongoing development.

In the long term, I wish we could use the platform implementations
of SHA-3 rather than shipping our own.

Regards,
Martin