[Python-Dev] accept the wheel PEPs 425, 426, 427

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 01:11:26 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Daniel Holth writes:
>
>  > Another solution comes to mind. Put the description in the payload.
>
> That would work for me, but it would cause extensibility problems if
> anybody later found a use for other formatted fields.  I have no
> intuition for that.

That level of extensibility mainly shows up with the extra metadata
files in the .dist-info directory (so it's part of the wheel and
installation database formats, but not a concern for the main metadata
file).

An in-memory metadata interchange format would need to deal with it,
but such a format can also use properly structured datatypes.

Cheers,
Nick.