[Python-Dev] Python 3.3 vs. Python 2.7 benchmark results (again, but this time more solid numbers)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 23:07:11 CEST 2012

On 27 October 2012 21:58,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Zitat von Tim Delaney <timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com>:
>

>> To be clear - I'm *not* suggesting Cython become part of the required
>> build
>> toolchain. But *if* the Cython-compiled extensions prove to be
>> significantly faster I'm thinking maybe it could become a semi-supported
>> option (e.g. a HOWTO with the caveat "it worked on this particular
>> system").
>

> This should compare to zipping the standard library, which has been a
> supported
> configuration for a long time, and also avoids many stat calls.

Interestingly, I just did a quick test of this: This is on my Windows
7 PC, running under Powershell. D:\Apps\Python33 is a standard
installation, whereas D:\Dev\P33 has a zipped stdlib:

PS 22:02 D:\Data
>foreach ($i in 1..10) { measure-command { D:\Apps\Python33\python.exe -c "raise SystemExit" } | % { $_.TotalSeconds } }
0.0737877
0.1014695
0.0950326
0.0910734
0.0689548
0.084994
0.0772204
0.0958197
0.0696385
0.0806066
PS 22:03 D:\Data
>foreach ($i in 1..10) { measure-command { D:\Dev\P33\python.exe -c "raise SystemExit" } | % { $_.TotalSeconds } }
0.1922151
0.1879894
0.2455766
0.2842425
0.1937161
0.2168928
0.2441508
0.1860206
0.1866409
0.1897004

Looks like the normal configuration is over twice as fast as the zipped one...

Paul.