[Python-Dev] Acceptance of PEPs

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 29 07:52:42 CET 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 11:05 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:

>I just found out that PEP 430 came up again and was approved, but only
>because of another website. After that I looked back through my email
>only to find mention via python-checkins. Aren't PEPs typically acted
>on here on python-dev?
>
>I mention this because I was writing up a blog.python.org post about
>the (somewhat recent) Sphinx theme change and the change to add a
>version dropdown which was pushed yesterday. I was about to wrap it up
>and schedule it for tomorrow when I found out about 430, which I'm now
>including.

PEP 1 states that proposals must be sent to python-dev after discussion on
python-ideas.  As for acceptance, PEP 1 says:

    Once the authors have completed a PEP, they may request a review for
    style and consistency from the PEP editors.  However, the content and
    final acceptance of the PEP must be requested of the BDFL, usually via
    an email to the python-dev mailing list.

    When a PEP is Accepted, Rejected or Withdrawn, the PEP should be updated
    accordingly. In addition to updating the status field, at the very least
    the Resolution header should be added with a link to the relevant post
    in the python-dev mailing list archives.

So yes, python-dev needs to be the place where PEPs are discussed and
accepted.

Cheers,
-Barry