[Python-Dev] Tru64 support

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Tue Sep 4 17:56:25 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 02:24:10AM -0700, Andrew Svetlov wrote:
> Is it still up to date? Bug has been created in 2004.
> I don't see Tru64 in list of available buildbots.
>
> Do we need to care about this platform? And how to make sure what
> existing code works fine for that?
>
> Or maybe we can drop support for Tru64 as well as we already does it
> for, say, VMS?

    The ES40 I've got sitting in the corner waiting for a rainy day just
    died a little inside.  (HP was also kind enough to donate unlimited
    Tru64 media/licenses a while back.)  As for whether or not it should
    be a platform CPython cares about -- I'd argue it falls in the same
    boat as IRIX/MIPS: not so much.  I'll be damned if Snakebite doesn't
    have Tru64/Alpha representation though :-)

    OpenVMS is an interesting one though; it's still actively supported
    by HP on Itanium.  I've got an Itanium earmarked marked for OpenVMS
    "for an even rainier day", but I wouldn't know OpenVMS is it smacked
    me in the head, so, not a high priority at the moment.

        Trent.